Valandre Blog

17 August 2011 – International K2 Expedition to the North Pillar of K2

Brief Update 17 August 2011 :

Gerlinde, Ralf and the rest of the team are staying at Camp I (5,300m) for another night. Due to yesterday’s heavy snowfall and the potential avalanche danger that comes with it, the team decided to wait before ascending to Camp II (6,600m).

Today, a good amount of the fresh snow has already come down and the team is pretty confident that they will be able to climb to Camp II tomorrow. The weather forecast has not changed and still predicts dry and stable weather for the end of the week.

The itinerary for the summit attempt allows for an extra day on the mountain, which means that Sunday will remain their summit day. We will find out whether this plan will change or not in the next few days.

Warm Regards

Gerlinde Kaltenbrunner’s and Ralf Dujmovits’ home team

© TEXT G.Kaltenbrunner/R.Dujmovits; TRANSLATION: Elke Luginsland

AMICAL alpin - Neuigkeiten